On December 10, 1896, the Highwood Volunteer Fire Association was organized in Visel's Hall on St. Mary Street. Next came the Centerville fire company in October 1904, followed by Whitneyville (1910), Humphrey (1911), Mt. Carmel (1911), Merritt Street (1921), Mix District (1924), Dunbar Hill (1926) and West Woods (1956).
Three of Hamden's original volunteer fire companies still serve as intengral parts of the Hamden Fire Department: Mix District Co. 7, Dunbar Hill Co. 8 and Mt. Carmel Co. 5, which celebrated 100 years of continuous fire service in 2011.
Rotary's Irfan Ahmed and Firework's Chmn. Karl Olson
Hamden Rotary Club Kicks Off
2016 Fireworks Fundraising Drive
Once again, the patriotic spirit of Hamden's Rotary Club members has been demonstrated through a very generous donation to the Hamden Volunteer Firefighters Fireworks fundraising campaign.
Longtime HVFF Committee Chairman of Hamden's annual Independance Day fireworks event, Karl Olson, accepted a check from Rotary Club President Irfan Ahmed in the amount of $750.
Hamden's Rotary Club has been a consistent and generous supporter of Hamden's annual fireworks celebration throughout the event's 23 years.
The HVFF Committee is made up of members of Hamden's three remaining active volunteer fire companies, Co. 5 in Mt. Carmel, Co. 7 (Mix District) on Shepard Avenue, and Co. 8 in Dunbar Hill.
Volunteers will be collecting donations for this year's fireworks at Stop & Shop on Dixwell Avenue at Skiff Street every Saturday and Sunday throughout the month of June. Donations for the 2016 fireworks will also be gratefully accepted through PayPal using the Committee's email address, email@example.com, or by check. Checks should be sent to HVFF, P.O. Box 5104, Hamden, CT 06518.